Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Sorry Your Grandmother Died

Except she didn't.

Mark Twain is quoted as saying "'The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated." And I guess I did that tonight.

I was doing a Google search for obituaries I may have missed and received the following result:



Obituaries - August 2, 2008: HeraldTimesOnline.com

Aug 2, 2008 ... Guila Elmore. Martha Johnson. Most read stories in obituaries .... Anna
Gobert ( Bloomington, IN) Esther Lawmaster (Bedford, IN), ...
www.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2008/08/02/obit.obits.sto -




There in black and white was the name Esther Lawmaster. Esther is pushing 90 and it is not out of the realm of possibilities that she died last summer.

Of course I couldn't accept this snippet as proof and clicked on the link to read more. And it was a link to nowhere. It offered me the chance to buy a one day pass for $4 to search the site but I decided instead to send my sympathies to her grandson.

Lee Lawmaster was surprised and I hope not insulted when I asked him if he had his grandmother's obituary. She is alive and well.

The obituary notice was, in fact, for her brother and her name was printed that day -- as one of his two sisters still surviving.

Lee sent me his great-uncle's obituary and I sent him an apology. And many years of healthy living for his grandmother.

No comments: