Monday, March 23, 2009

The Lowmaster Book

I am deeply indebted to my great-uncle, Rev. Vane Henry Lowmaster (1892-1987) for printing a Lowmaster history in 1972. I looked at the crisp pages of my copy, still only 37 years old, and wondered how best to preserve this. And I decided the best way was to unbind it and create a digital copy and share it with others.

Vane did not have at his disposal the resources I have had. His work, outstanding in its day, formed the basis of all that I did.

He referenced the Historical Society of York, Pa. when he wrote: "It seems certain that most, if not all, of the Lowmasters of America are descended from this single immigrant, Wendel Lawmeister (Lowmaster); and until 1875, practically all of them lived in York, County, Pa."

Vane then added his own note: "The above date is not entirely correct. Some of them left York much earlier. One went to Richmond, Virginia, and a descendant left two daughters. One is reported to have gone to Ohio. John Lowmaster bought his farm in what is now Canoe Township, Indiana County, in 1845."

Vane made no reference to paternal descendants who go by the names Lawmaster, Laumaster, and Loumaster. His focus was on his family, that is, his father and grandfather, as well as his maternal side, the Emericks.

This work was an excellent start for this researcher. It contained a number of ambiguities, for which I am thankful, because it has forced me to search for more and check and double check his sources. And he has still left a lot to ponder as I have yet to explore his statement that "Legend says his (Wendel's) wife was of the House of Von Beulow."

Lowmaster, 1972, by Rev. Vane Lowmaster

No comments: